
Everyone should have a signature dish and after my Italian instructor told me about pasta all'amatriciana, I decided that I wanted it to be mine. It is very simple to make and has few ingredients but I've found that quality ingredients are key - organic tomatoes, pancetta from the butcher (not pre-packaged), and good pasta .
The dish has a complicated history. People in Amatrice say it originated in that central Italian town, as the name implies. But in Rome, about 60 miles away, chefs proudly claim it as their own and say its name has nothing to do with its origins. In Amatrice, the dish is simply pasta, tomatoes, cured pork and cheese. But Romans include onions and olive oil. Even the type of pasta is in dispute, spaghetti in Amatrice and bucatini in Rome. I like the Roman version, personally, and the recipe is below:
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
4 ounces pancetta
1/2 onion, minced
1 pound plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
salt
1 dried chili pepper crumbled or freshly ground black pepper
1 pound bucatini (straw-shapped pasta)
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan and add the pancetta. Cook over low heat until it takes on a little color without burning. Stir in the onion and sauté until wilted and golden, then add the tomatoes, salt, and the chili or ground black pepper. Cook over moderately high heat until the sauce reduces, about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the bucatini and a little salt and cook until al dente; drain. Toss with the amatriciana sauce, transfer to a heated serving dish, and sprinkle with the Pecorino. Serve hot. Serves 4
Last week, I was excited to try the pasta all'amatriciana at an Italian bistro near my house. It was good... but I'm happy to report that mine is better. :)
2 comments:
Sounds absolutely delicious! I love anything Italian and this one sure does make the taste buds water...happy Monday!
thats such a good idea. i want a signature dish too.
Post a Comment