Tuesday, November 24, 2009

asparagus tart

As I mentioned in my previous post. Ben and I made a lot of a food over the weekend. My friend Grace bought me Kitchen Seasons by Ross Dobson for my birthday, and it is one the best cookbooks ever! All the recipes are easy, unique, and sorted by whats' best for the season your in. Asparagus season has passed, but I thought I would try to make this tart anyway since I had 2 bundles of asparagus I forgot to make for the crab dinner. It was so yummy! Ingredients:
....................................
2 x 12-oz ready rolled puffed pastry (defrosted)
1 egg lightly beaten and mixed with 2 tsp water
2 T butter
2 T light olive oil
2 bunches of asparagus trimmed
5 oz. soft goat cheese
sea salt and black pepper
......
Directions:
..........................................
-Preheat oven to 425 and line 2 baking sheets with baking paper

-cut the pastry to make 2 rectangles and place each one on a baking sheet.

-cut 1/2 inch wide strips around each rectangle and place the strips back along the border of the rectangles to form a border.

-prick the center of each pastry with a fork and brush the beaten egg all over both.

-cook in a preheated oven for 15 minutes or until puffed and pale golden.

*Meanwhile*
- Saute the asparagus with the oil and butter on high heat in a pan turning often until they start to soften

-season well with sea salt and pepper and set aside

-crumble goat cheese on pastry staying within borders and top with asparagus

-put back in oven for 10 minutes until dark golden.

SERVE!

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

omg that looks SO good.
yummmmmm!
a foodie weekend is the best kind of weekends!

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

Yummy! Other than grilling it, I never know what to do with asparagus. My husband loves it, so I'm definitely going to try this!

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Ben! XOXO

Morgan said...

YUM! I'm definitely going to try that!