Thursday, April 30, 2009

Reason #872 why I love my grandparents so much

When I was a little girl I would have overnights at my grandparents house. I would stay in the "pink" room. A room that was so magical and every little girls dream. It was of course, pink, but also filled with frilly blankets, a canopy bed made for one, a vanity filled with antique jewelry, and stuffed animals (usually wearing my old baby dresses) to keep me company. I have so many fond memories of staying with grandparents place. Their house was immaculate, but beautiful and dainty just like my Grandma. She had flower gardens everywhere, little candy dishes on every table, and cabinets filled with fine china. She would have her "lady luncheons" which where usually attended by her "lioness" club and Avon lady. At these luncheons she would set the table with these fancy white porcelain dishes. She would place a doily under each teacup, and make sure the silverware was polished. It gave her much joy to do these things, and I remember always being mesmerized by how everything she touched was so beautiful.

Things have changed a lot since then. I now live 3 hours away and rarely see my grandparents. They still live in the same house which looks the EXACT same (including the "pink" room), but are now gone 6 months out of the year in Florida. I was so excited to hear that they would be driving through Duluth today and would be stopping by. Not only that, but they brought gifts! I am now the new owner of my grandmothers fine china set, or as she calls it "her luncheon setting". I can't wait to continue the tradition of having my own luncheons. What do you say ladies? Tea and crumpets anyone?

They also brought a box full of Tobies rolls....I know right? Be still my heart!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I stayed overnight at my grandma's almost every friday night as a little girl. Only I stayed in the "yellow room" and slept in what was called the "princess bed".

Those were such wonderful days. :)

The china set is lovely. I'm sure you will always cherish it. (:

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

Your grandmother sounds so lovely, as does the girlie pink bedroom you spent so much time in growing up. How lovely to have her special china! When is your first tea/luncheon? Those rolls look sooooo gooooood. Dang it, now I want something sweet.

Tiffany said...

oh lordy, the way you described your grandparents house is pure delight!a canopy bed! I bet your mother had to pry you away from the house on Sundays!!