To kick off the fall season at the gallery, we are exhibiting I Will Never Forget You, photographic portraits of Frida Kahlo by the Hungarian photographer Nickolas Muray. The two had a 12 year love affair that began in Mexico during the mid 1930s and Muray, a highly regarded fashion photographer of the day (known for his photographs of dancers) and early adopter of color photography, began the portrait series of Kahlo in 1938. These are carbro prints, an expensive and time consuming process that produces extremely saturated color. 
The most fascinating aspect of preparing for this exhibition has been reading the letters between Kahlo and Muray. Below is an excerpt from a letter to Muray, written in 1939, while Kahlo was in Paris for her first exhibition and having trouble with her art dealer, Pierre Colle. WARNING: Crassness ensues.
Well, after things were more or less settled as I told you, few days ago Breton told me that the associated of Pierre Colle, an old bastard and son of a bitch saw my paintings and found that only two were possible to be shown because the rest are too "shocking" for the public!! I could of kill that guy and eat it afterwards, but I am so sick and tired of the whole affair that I decided to send everything to hell, and scram from this rotten Paris before I get nuts myself. You have no idea the kind of bitches these people are. They make me vomit. They are so damn "intellectual" and rotten that I can't stand them any more. It is really too much for my character - I rather sit on the floor in the market of Toluca and sell tortillas than have anything to do with those "artistic" bitches of Paris.


2 comments:
these are INCREDIBLE!!!
Wow, these photographs are amazing. AMAZING! I suppose she didn't think too highly of Paris during this visit (to put it mildly). Thanks so much for sharing these with those of us who won't be able to attend the exhibit.
Post a Comment