Thursday, October 1, 2009

small talk

Leslie just e-mailed me some pictures from last weekends funness. It was an ideal autumn day in Duluth. Sunny, a mild breeze, and a good trail to hike along a rushing river. Lunch made the day even better....Have I ever mentioned my love for Danish blue cheese? Combine this with walnuts, a brown butter maple sauce, figs, and baguette. Its pretty much heaven on a plate. I live at the Scenic Cafe when this is on the menu (for a mere 2 months).
My other new addiction? Netflix! I know, I know. Your wondering why, just today, I'm excited for something every other person has already been using the last 2 years. Ben and I finally took the plunge after our favorite movie rental store went out a biz (And yes-I realize the irony and reasoning behind this). We really wanted to support the small guy as long as we could, but now that they are gone we signed up last night and spent 3 hours of our evening watching Dexter (for free yo). Of course I feel a little guilty I am indulging in the very thing that probably made our local movie store close, but they didn't even have the movie BIG the last time I went there! All they started carrying was new releases. I'm so excited to have all these foreign and independent movies at my fingertips! Have an recommendations?

10 comments:

Tiffany said...

don't feel bad, we just got on netflix as well. our local video place charged 5 bucks for one dvd rental and it was just too much!

Red Boots said...

Lars And The Real Girl is such a fantastic movie - I'd definitely recommend it.

I subscribe to the UK version of Netflix (LoveFilm), but only because my local video store charged super high amounts of money to borrow a DVD for two nights. I felt bad at not supporting the little man, but my pocket just couldn't afford to. :( x

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

My husband and I watch tons of movies. For a while I went through an Audrey Hepburn phase. Have you seen Two for the Road? It is such a great movie (I watched it the first time in a film class, and have seen it twice since). We also love geeking out on a saturday or sunday morning to some MST3K (we are total dorkwads at heart). Sometimes we rent classic silient films like Nostferatu & Metropolis. And now you can start watching Mad Men! Prepare yourself...

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

P.S. Adorable pic of you two!

Leslie said...

Dexter! SO good. I've decided that once I'm caught up with it, I need to lay off renting a netflix series. I'm such a list crosser-off-er that I canNOT casually watch it. Argh!

My favorite quote from Dexter thus far: "Life is short, just ask a Ford Pinto."

labonnefemme1 said...

I love Dexter too , but I think my favorite older movie and foreign film is Sex and Lucia....you must check it out. So great!

Holly said...

ahhh, another Dexter lover ;)

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Congrats to you on joining Netflix! We rarely watch TV and with no movie rental in this tiny town, it was a shoe-in to join. You will love the instant movies...have watched all the Dexter & LOVE it!! The foreign film selection is fantastic as are all the old B&W. I could go on and on, but you will find out soon enough!!

Clarity said...

We don't get this in England, do you download it and hook the laptop up to your TV screen?

Hmmm, I adore foreign and indie films, "La Grande Illusion" is a beauty.

Clarity said...

By the way the dish looks scrumptious!