Tuesday, June 22, 2010

easy fish tacos

I've been trying to get more creative in the kitchen lately. Usually Ben is the cook, but I've been trying to make more meals since he's been working a ton lately. I had some frozen white fish in the freezer so I decided to make fish tacos. They were super easy and pretty darn tasty too. It makes a great summer dinner for 2.


What you will need:

-1 large filet (mine was 12"long) of white fish or 1 lbs cod filets thawed and rinsed. If your in Duluth I bought my white fish filet at the coop by the deli freezer for $3! Cut into 2 inch pieces.
-Panko Japanese Bread crumbs
-1 package of flour tortilla (the smaller version)
-shredded red cabbage
-1 ripe avocado sliced
- fresh cilantro
-lime wedges


Sauce:
-1/2 cup plain yogurt
-1/2 cup mayo (I use smart balance)
-1 lime juiced
-1 Jalapeno minced
-1 tsp capers (optional)
-1/2 tsp cumin
-1/2 tsp oregano
-1/2 tsp dill weed
-1 tsp ground cayenne pepper (optional. only use if you like it spicy)


1.) In a medium size bowl combine yogurt and mayo. Add rest of sauce ingredients and mix well. Set aside.

2.) Put some Panko (you can also add whatever spices to this as well) on a plate and place the chunks of fish on it making sure they get covered in the crumbs. Most people will dip the fish in a egg and milk mixture first, but I find water works just fine.

3.) Pour canola oil into frying pan so that the bottom of pan is completely covered and about a 1/2 inch deep.

4.) Place filets on pan and fry each side until done (about 45 sec on each side). Set on paper towels.

5.) Warm tortilla on clean frying pan ( I just throw them on my cast iron for about 15 sec. on each side. Medium heat)


Place a few pieces of fish on tortilla. Add avocado, cabbage, and sauce to liking. Top with cilantro. Serve with lime wedges. ENJOY!

5 comments:

Deb said...

Those sound SO good! Can't wait to try your recipe! I'm drooling.

Joanna Goddard said...

yum! this looks so good.

Park Street said...

Sounds so delicious! Thank you for the meal idea. We get into these ruts where we'll both eat the same thing for dinner until we get sick of it and then go out to eat. Not very economical. :)

ilana kohn said...

oh man, gotta make these!!

Aron said...

I really love fish tacos! Sadly, there is only one place in NYC I really like them from. Sometimes I miss LA!