Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Roadtrip

As mentioned previously, I took a little roadtrip with my friends Kelly and Molly a few weekends ago. Molly planned the trip to check out Michigan Techs Environmental Engineering program, and Kelly and I decided to tag along for the ride. Our final destination would be Houghton, Michigan (located in the Upper Peninsula), but we made a stop in Bayfield for a night on our way.


BAYFIELD: Bayfield is a pretty cute town located on the Lake Superior just like Duluth. The town is pretty much shut down in the winter, so it was us girls and maybe 20 others passing through. We stayed in a jacuzzi suite at the Bayfield Inn and passed time checking out the bookstore, shopping at the 2 stores that were open, and eating at Maggie's (a restaurant full of pink flamingos and dazzling xmas lights). We ended our night with beers in the hot tub. IT WAS FUN.


Our drive to Houghton was an adventure! I had never been on such a desolated highway. We made a few stops along the way in Cornucopia and Iron River where we did some antiquing and snack breaks. Then it was onward to Michigan.


HOUGTON: What an odd place. It's charming yet dreary and I think we might have been the only women in their late 20s there. There really is NO women. I was told there is 15 guys to every 1 girl and we quickly discovered that was true. We stayed in a retro (dated) motel called The Downtowner and had dinner at the Library which is their local brewpub. While Molly visited the campus, Kelly and I took our own tour of the town and wasted some time in their board shop where I picked up that scary ski mask. Not sure why I bought it, but at the moment I HAD to have it. Then we picked up Molly and drive back to good old Minnesota.


Would I do it all over? Yes.

4 comments:

Maria Rose said...

The ski mask...I have made similar purchases!

Taylor said...

fun!

Deb said...

awesome ski mask! ha ha! i love it.

Lexie said...

so much fun! you and your friends look so cute together!