Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A taste of "healthy" heaven

I'm not going to lie, I have weak spot of the egg McMuffin. Don't get me wrong though, I think fast food is terrible for the human race, but maybe once or twice I year (usually if I have been out late) I'll get an egg McMuffin and it tastes like heaven. In my defense, Saveur magazine did an article on this breakfast sandwich not too long in honor of the man who invented it, Herb Peterson. Even the editor at Saveur admitted to its deliciousness. Ben and I decided to make our own "healthy" version of these last night along with a new potato salad we had never tried. The result was heavenly. We decided to use whole wheat English muffins, and VEGETARIAN "fake" ham as meat substitute in the sandwich. I was a little hesitant, but I thought it was pretty tasty. Anyway, here are the recipes: Vegetarian (octo) Egg McMuffin Serving 4
ingredients:
4 Whole wheat English muffins
4 eggs
2 tbs olive oil
4 slices of vegetarian "meat" ham
4 slices of sharp cheddar

1.)Start toasting the muffins in toaster. Heat oven to 350
2.)while they are toasting heat up oil in skillet, once hot add veg ham & cook till ends get crispy. Flip if needed.
3.)Remove "meat" once done and place on paper towel. Using existing oil, add four eggs to pan and cook sunny side up.
4.) While eggs are cooking place a "meat" slice on each muffin.
5.) remove eggs with spatula and place one egg on each muffin. Add cheese on top of egg.
6.) Now that you have the sandwich built you can stick it in the oven until the cheese begins to melt or fry it like a grilled cheese in a pan. and your DONE! Easy peasy.

Purple Potatoes and Snap Peas (we found this on the bag. So good!)
Ingredients:
1lb of Petite purple potatoes rinsed
1/2 lb of sugar snap peas, trimmed and washed
1/4 cup of feta cheese crumbles
4 tsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbs olive oil
10 fresh mint leaves slices small

1.)Cover potatoes in a medium saucepan with cold salted water by 1 inch and simmer until tender (15 min)
2.)Use a slotted spoon and take cooked potatoes out to cool. Keep water in pot and add snap peas. Boil water and blanch peas for one minute. Remove and drain. Run cold water over them. Pat dry.
3.) Cut potatoes into quarters.
4.) Throw all ingredients into a big bowl and toss. Done!

2 comments:

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

I think you and I must be on the same cosmic wavelength because I made a homemade Egg McMuffin for the first time this weekend! (I don't eat at McDonald's either these past few years, but I had a memory of how good the McMuffins were). My egg was cooked medium so the yolk was still a little soft and I used turkey sausage. It was quite good, but I forgot to add cheese, so my next homemade McMuffin will be better.

c.hasty said...

I would rather support the Ronald McDonald House and its sick children while eating my genuine Egg McMuffin.