I was reading A Cup of Jo the other day and came across a topic she discussed entitled "Should a woman be legally required to take her husband's last name when they get married?", and it made me realize a lot of you might not know how I got my last name which is also the title of this blog. Ben and I decided to combine our last names. We took the first four letters from his last name "Linder"and the last four of mine "Brunello".......
.............
(Lind)er + Brun(ello)= Lindello!
..........
A lot of people always ask "is that legal?", "what did your families think?!"
Yes its legal and our families thought we we're kidding at first, but when they found out it was for reals, they liked it! Ben had thought of the idea a long time ago and we always had it in the back of our heads. When it was time to marry we both just thought lets do it! Our other option was "Brunder" which doesn't really roll off the tongue and sounds like the name of a mean pitbull.
17 comments:
I really like your name, I thought at first it sounded Italian and muscial at the same time.
I think it's sweet that you both forged a new name together. Your families must be supportive :)
Although I may appear to be a model for a future 1930's to 1950's housewife to my friends I would keep my own last name and let the kids have their daddy's if I should ever marry/procreate :) I'm not a big fan of the double barrel, (yours is more efficient), which can quadruple barrel if not kept in check.
i totally love you 10x more after reading this.
If I were to take my bfs name i would become: Melody Cummings.
Sounds like a pornstar name. :-/
How ingenious! I always thought your married name was Lindello...never imagined it would be a combo!
Eric and I discussed doing that, but our names combined poorly. Yours work so well!
I love it! I think Cassi was the one who told me about your last name and I thought it was the greatest thing! You're so lucky have a guy who's willing to do so. I think Andrew would've pouted for months. How did I marry such a traditionalist? *sighs*
what a cute story...love it! Very original....xo
that's such a neat story about your new last name!
that is a pretty cool topic. in asia, when women marry, they don't change their names. the kids take on the fathers surname but the women don't go change it on paper.
also for alot of science women who publish medical journal papers, it is easier to keep your own name for printing sake.
that is amazing!! how special for both your families! and what a great idea!
That is so cute! Such a great idea. I love that he thought of it. :)
I love it! You two are so clever. Lindello is such a great last name. I just told my husband about this, and he said "We could be McDavis" (me McLaughlin, him Davis). I'm keeping my maiden name, though I'm thinking of hyphenating. I love my middle name though (o'Brien - it's my grandmother's maiden name), so I'm not sure yet about changing it.
No way! That's so awesome. Very
I'm totally sending this to my boyfriend. Maybe it'll convince him :)
you just gained a million cool points (not like you needed anymore) but srsly, how amazing is that!!!
how wonderful!
That is such a beautiful idea. When two people marry, they become one; not one becomes the other. So how appropriate to combine a piece of your names rather than one person losing theirs.
I just wish my boyfriend's and my last names would meld so melodically!
I love that idea! I've always liked your last name and now I think it's even more sweet!
I kept my own last name. I got some guilt every time I got a letter in the mail from the hubs family, because they used his last name. But after I flat out told his sister that she should plan on mail getting lost from now on if she addressed it that way she got the hint.
My dad calls me by a hyphenated version of our last names (which I think is sweet coming from him) but other than that there has only been one person that questioned me.
By the way, our names would be horrible combined... Gass and Post. Neither are swoon worthy. ; )
Good for you! I'm all for people doing what they want, but I love when people take a creative approach to something that most folks see as too traditional to change. I'm never giving up my last name, mainly because most people know me solely by my last name, and partly because it rocks.
Post a Comment