Thursday, February 25, 2010

back home.

whoa. I am back from New York! There is much to tell. First off, I apologize for the shotty pictures (and the lack of interesting ones). I didn't make many pictures because besides going to the show, we didn't end up doing that much exciting after the first day. I'll get to that in a minute. We arrived Saturday afternoon and spent the day walking around our hotel and ended up seeing the American Beauty exhibit at the FIT museum. It was so amazing seeing all those gowns in person and it got us in the mood for a week of buying. Then we had a wonderful dinner at Resto, a Belgian restaurant that is known for it's mussels and frites. I absolutely LOVE mussels, and this was THE place to go because we each got a pail of them all to ourselves with a side of frites. Yum. After dinner we headed to the Ace Hotel and as soon as I walked into the front doors I knew we had made a good decision. Incredible taxidermy (check), great drinks (check), Opening Ceremony store attached (double check), awesome decor and friendly folks (check).

We woke up the next morning bright and early and headed to show all day and ended up staying in for pizza (greasy NYC style-awesome) and planned on going to some fun places the next two evenings. Unfortunately that's when my trips turns south. We had dinner the next night at this cute restaurant near our hotel before going out and within 4 hours I had the WORST food poisoning. I ended up staying in our hotel bathroom all night, barely making it to the show the next day, by then I was so exhausted and still feeling gross we didn't make it out again. Boo. It was such a bummer.

Coterie was a success! The show was gigantic, but I thought it was well organized and we managed to pick up a few new lines. Here are some of the fall trends that I saw consistently throughout the show:

-Khaki pants :a lot of the denim lines were really pushing these. Most of them we're a straight to skinny leg.

-Cargo pants :again, a lot of these were on a skinny or even legging body. Not sure how I felt about them...

- Strong shoulders : everywhere! From a basic tank to a sweater, I saw a ton of shoulder pads; ruched shoulders, or slightly pointed ones.The sweater above is from a line called Mcginn which I fell in love with immediately.

-Embellished shoulders: not only padded, but I noticed a lot of detail focused on shoulders from razzle dazzle stones to military type adornments.

-Lace: this was everywhere too. Lots of shirts and blouses had lace detail or a cut-out with small lace patch.

-Slouchy trouser: Usually cropped with loose pockets. I really liked theses!

-Fabric insets on denim: Some of the fashion denim would be distressed and under the distressing would be some sort of printed fabric from stripes to liberty print.

-Dress Shorts: We'll be seeing a lot of tweed and velvet shorts paired with tights this fall for sure!

-Stripes: Still really big!

That's what comes in mind for now. I am kind of brain dead from the lack of sleep and traveling so bear with me. I hope you all had a wonderful weekend and week and I can't wait to catch up on your blogs. Have a great day!!

9 comments:

from lara said...

sounds like you had a great time in nyc! i actually went to FIT for college! the museum always has such interesting exhibits. they do a great job w/ it. also i can't believe you went to resto b/c i just went there for the first time a few weeks ago! i didn't have the mussels but the waffle i got for dessert was insanely good! :) sorry you got food poisoning while you were here that's no fun!

Lindsay said...

That sweater is fantastic! And what a BUMMER about the food poisoning. Sheesh!

If you love mussels, then you HAVE to visit the Hopleaf next time you're in Chicago. They're the beeeeest, I hear. And they have about 4 bajillion beers on tap, which is OBV awesome.

Hello Lindello said...

Lara-

That's so cool you went to school there. I saw the waffle dessert at the table next to ours and was envious. Looked amazing, but we were much too full!

Linz- Will do. I should be there for the stylemax show in June.

Tiffany said...

oh that is the worse when you get food poisoning on a trip!
but at least you were staying at the awesome ace hotel! i want to stay in one. the one in portland looked so awesome!!
mmm frites, yummmmm

stephanie renee said...

so sorry to hear about your nasty food poisoning, been there so i know how much it sucks! i totally want to check out the ace hotel next time i go to ny.

littlebyrd said...

Aw - shoot! That sucks that you got sick. Glad you liked the Ace Hotel. I've never stayed at one but we have one here in Portland that some friends stayed at and it was way cool. Liked the trend forecast :)

Eunice said...

You're back! I'm jealous. Anyway, mussels YUMMM yummm yumm. I'm glad that you had an amazing time (even going on a side trip to FIT) despite the food incident.

Hannah Elise said...

Good to see you back! Blah, sorry to hear you had food poisoning, that's no fun:(. Sounds like the rest of your trip was pretty awesome though!

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

Oh no, I can't believe you had food poisoning! It sounds like an otherwise fun trip. I'm excited about the dress shorts and that stripes are still big! Love that first pic.