Sunday, May 9, 2010

weekend + meine mutter

As you can see a little bit of everything went down this weekend. Friday was pretty mellow as I wasn't feeling all that great, but I think Saturday made up for it. I went to an estate sale where I found the cutest vintage little girls clothes, ran with Ben, and relaxed before the big night began. A bunch us that evening celebrated Andi's birthday at Hanabi where we indulged in a ship load (for reals) of amazing sushi and I also drank a concoction of oyster, quail egg, and miscellaneous juice (see first pic). Not everyone was a fan of that, but Deb and I really enjoyed it. We're hardcore like that. The rest of the evening we celebrated homegrown and made it through the doors of Erberts and Gerberts before they turned the lock. Today we celebrated mothers day and afterwards I took my new kite out for a test run. Not a bad weekend at all.
..................
Mother's day was spent at our house. Ben and I made brunch for my mom Karen. My mom is a pretty amazing gal. Born in Germany in 1952, she grew up with a single mom who was dealing with losing her own mother and many other relatives to the Nazi regime (my grandmother was later given awards and noted for helping hide Jewish women in her basement). When she was 13, her mother married a US soldier and moved to the States. Not knowing much English, my mom was thrown into the New York public school system barely speaking the language. She was teased and harassed most of her middle school to high school years. When she was 17 her boyfriend at the time signed her up for a beauty pageant and to her disbelief she was crowned Ms. Queens New York her junior year! She said from that day on everyone wanted to be her friend at school (go figure). She went on to model and eventually work for Barbizon Modeling Agency (remember seeing these ads in the back of YM or Seventeen?). Eventually she married, had children, and moved on to other things. Today she is single, and I'm lucky enough to live very close to her. She just returned from a scuba diving trip to Honduras where she received her scuba certification and hopes to go back to Germany in the next year or so. I'm so proud of her. Happy Mothers Day mom!!

12 comments:

Kate said...

holy crap, your mom sounds amazing! What an awesome family story.

pineapplemint said...

Your mom has such an interesting story! Thank you for sharing it. That drink, on the other hand...

l said...

Your mom is pretty awesome!

Lynzie said...

Happy Mother's Day, Karen. I am glad that you are feeling better.

stephanie renee said...

sounds like a fun weekend and what an amazing family story! your mom sounds like a lot of fun!

Nicole Marie said...

that waffle looks delcious!

Tiffany said...

wow kate, how awesome is your mum!!!
that is a fascinating story.
and was that drink alcoholic?
i want to try it!
at first i thought that oyster was a shitake mushroom ..

Holly said...

your mom sounds incredible :)

littlebyrd said...

Your momma sounds amazing!!! I always love hearing about your weekends too - always fully lived and interesting :)

Megan said...

awwww, deine Mutti and you look so much alike! and that would be awesome, for her to be able to move back to Germany...such a cool lady!

jennifer said...

Whoa, your mom has such an amazing story!! Thanks for sharing.

Lindsay said...

Awww. I love this!