Sunday, November 21, 2010

Chicago.

As mentioned last week, I went to Chicago for 6 days to to attend GREENBUILD for work. I didn't have nearly enough time to do as much as I wanted, but I did manage to go to some places to eat that had been on my list as well as check out some readers recommendations. Thanks for those to e-mailed me and posted tips on my blog!
For food we checked out Hopleaf, Revolution Brewery, Yolk, and Xoco. I work with some extreme beer enthusiasts, so both Hopleaf and Revolution were group pleasers. Revolution had some of the best food I've ever had (hello bacon fat popcorn). Next visit I would like to go to Violet Hour and Blackbird. They sound pretty amazing.

On Tuesday we headed to Sprout Home to get flowers for our booth. Holy foliage! This place was a dream to walk through. So many great ideas, I really could have spent a long time in there. Another place that is on my list for next time too. OK. So now the fun part. Our company works closely with another company called Richlite. Every year Richlite throws a surprise party for the folks that work with them and this year it was a super secret and we all couldn't wait to see what was going to go down.
...............
About 30 of us were instructed to go into a big fancy party bus where we drove around drinking beer still having NO CLUE where we were going. Already run, right? The bus finally stops and we pull up next to Wrigley Field where apparently that had rented out the WHOLE stadium for just us. We were going to be announced on the speakers, play ball, and drink beer!! Unfortunately, it ended up falling through because some college football team needed it. They still put us on the sign for kicks though.
..............
So on the bus went. We still had no idea where we were going to end up and then things got even more interesting. They put blind folds on us and pulled the blinds on the bus! We drove around a bit longer then were instructed to get off the bus where we guided blind folded across streets, through some doors, past security (they took our bags) and up up up an elevator. By this time I figured we were going some place high.
Eventually we made it to the top and were told that were going to experience an adrenaline rush and if anyone wanted to opt out now would be the time. Pretty nerve racking!
...............
Still blindfolded we were lined up shoulder to shoulder and asked not to move until told. On the count of three we were told to take a large step forward and at the same time remove our blind folds. It was such a rush! I took off my blind fold and felt like I was in mid air.
...............
They rented out the whole 103rd floor of the Sears (now Willis) tower and had us step out onto the clear decks. It was absolutely amazing and I felt like a kid at Christmas. Apparently no one had ever had dinner or rented the place out before. For a few hours we had a dinner party and drinks admiring the view and feeling very special. Man, I work with some cool people.
...........................
Even though I was in Chicago for almost a week it went by so fast. I definitely need to make a trip that doesn't involve work so I have more time to see the sights and hangout with some of you!

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

wow how crazy is that?!
what a wonderful photo of chicago from sear tower!
and that soup looks absolutely delicious.

Deb said...

WOAH! What an awesome week Kate!

Julia said...

Goodness! What a rush! I can't even imagine how crazy that feeling would have been taking off the blindfold. Anyone get the jitters? Have a hard time breathing? That would have been me!

I'm so glad you thoroughly loved your time down there. Did you guys still have snow when you got home?

kim @ pineapplemint said...

I love Hopleaf and Revolution is right around the corner from our condo in Chicago! Me and my boy went on our first date at Hopleaf.

Jocy said...

damn. I love that city.

Unknown said...

don't you just love chicago?! we're hoping to move to andersonville soon, secretly so that we can drink beer at hopleaf any old time we want ;-) sounds like you had a killer time in the windy city!