Friday, January 22, 2010

Happy Weekend + I Need Some Advice

I hope you all have a great weekend. I think Ben and I are going to stick around town this weekend and hope this storm we're suppose to be getting consists of snow NOT rain. I have no real plans which feels great and I am hoping to keep it that way.
..................
On a different note I need some advice if you would be so willing to help me on the matter of insomnia. I have been dealing with insomnia since childhood and lately it's had a firm grasp on me. Through the years I have tried just about everything. I am wondering if maybe I am missing something or perhaps you found something that works for you? Anyway, I would love to know any advice you may have on this matter. It would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a list of things I have already tried:

- Melatonin
- Valerian root
- Teas
- Over the counter sleeping aids
- Ambien (which totally works, but I don't like taking drugs)
- 5-HTP
- Eating loads of turkey
- Not napping
- Reading
- Following a routine
- Counting sheep
- Lavender
Any other ideas? Or maybe a book on the subject that helped you?
...........
Picture from coconut records

18 comments:

lisa butterworth said...

ugh, insomnia is the worst. do you do any yoga? i sleep ridiculously well after an intense evening class. hope you get some solid Zs soon!

Audra G. said...

hi! I have struggled with insomnia also..
I find that if I start to think about all the things I am thankful for..the things that I wish I could change and "ask" for change, kind of like a super long prayer, I start getting off track with my thoughts and end up waking up in the morning! it's been working well :)

Maria Rose said...

I have terrible insomnia as well. I realized a few years ago that I truly don't need as much sleep as most people. I am fine with 5-6 hours. When I quit trying so hard I was a lot happier.

sarah! said...

i used to have it really bad last year and occasionally it happens now but I love sleep aids! I try and use them only once or twice a week (they don't really work as well if they are used on a regular basis) and the nights that I don't take any sleep aid, i try to have a glass of wine or sleepy time tea. it works so well!

MaryBeth Houlihan said...

oh dear, that stinks! i hate it when i can't sleep -- it would be awful if it happened all the time.

but, when i can't sleep it's usually b/c i'm thinking about a million things. when that happens i get up and write all my thoughts in a notebook.

Megan said...

that's really funny, b/c I've been having insomnia issues lately, mostly from stressing out too much abt finances...my last resort is turning the tv on at a very low volume, b/c I can focus my thoughts on the white noise and just let go, but I can see how that would be hard/annoying if you have a significant other sleeping in the same room/no tv in your bedroom...blah.

littlebyrd said...

Maybe hypnotherapy? I have a friend that has a practice and I swear, it seems like it can solve just about anything.

Ashley said...

oh, i'm so sorry that you suffer from this. i have mild insomnia and recently discovered Celestial Seasonings Sleepytime Tea Extra. The tea is a calming chamomile blend and the Extra is Valerian. I started making myself a whole pot of this tea before bed and found that, after a few evenings it really began to help.

Unknown said...

I'm sorry to say I can't help you out. I only have the occasional night of sleeplessness... but I do feel for you & hope you get some good advice soon. Have a great weekend love!

BuenoBueno said...

i see you like coconut records.
we made a music video for a contest he was having check it out!

http://muchomuchobuenobueno.blogspot.com/2010/01/coconut-records-video-contest.html

nice post.

Tiffany said...

i've been lucky enough to have never experienced insomnia. so sorry, no advice or pearls of wisdom from me. just a big restful hug.

Eunice said...

ughh i've tried all of those too! someone told me during the day make sure it's productive like you're either constantly moving or brain is some sort of cerebral work (reading, etc.), then by the end of the day they say you'd just become really really exhausted and crash to bed.

shanon said...

I'm sorry to hear about this. I'm not sure if I've ever suffered from insomnia, but I know I need noise to sleep. Like a fan humming. Maybe you need a white noise machine or something similar?

p.s. I included you in my first etsy treasury last night! Although, know I sort of want to buy you item. hehe
http://www.etsy.com/treasury_list.php?room_id=108079

Lindsay said...

Awwww, insomnia is the SUCKS. I agree with doing an evening yoga session. Whenever, I end up in a particularly difficult class at the end of the day, it's all I can do to NOT fall asleep during savasana. Yoga is so perfect because it's A) a serious work out, and B) relaxing. Maybe you could even try Bikram? Hopefully you get some advice that helps!

Melissa Blake said...

I try not to have much caffeine after 4 p.m.

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

I'm way late with this advice, but have you gone to a sleep specialist? It may be a last resort, but it helped my Mom (for a few years anyway). She went to a clinic and had to do this strange sleep rotation to adjust her body clock.

The only other advice I've heard is to stay away from TV and computer for a couple of hours before you go to bed. The images stimulate the brain an keep you from moving into REM sleep (or something like that). I know that I won't go to sleep as easily tonight or sleep as soundly because I'm still on my computer. Good luck, I hope you find something that helps!

Hello Lindello said...

Thanks all! I will definitely look into a good yoga video and I have considered seeing a sleep specialist. I'll keep you posted!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I can't wait to go through your comments. I've been suffering with it too and have posted about it as well. Lots of people suggested Ambien, but I've been wanting to hold off on the med route...I spent a day of solid resting on the couch this week and that did make me feel better!