Friday, August 28, 2009

rocks on my ears

Ben and I went agate hunting last weekend with our friends Luke and Laura. We drove up the north shore of Lake Superior, rolled up our pants, and waded into the ice cold water sifting through millions of little pebbles in search of agates. I didn't have much luck, but Ben found a few keepers. Our friend Dan was the inspiration behind the search. He spends hours looking for agates, and hours more tumbling them, drilling little holes inside each of them, and making jewelry. I bought these earrings from him last week. Simple, but absolutely gorgeous. Like buying food, its fun (and feels good) knowing where something originates, how that something was made, and the story behind it. I hope to incorporate more things like this into my daily life.

If you are interested in buying a pair, shoot me an email. They are only $15. All the agates are found by Dan in Lake Superior (the largest fresh water lake in the nation yo!). I'm also hoping to help Dan set up an Etsy shop in the near future, right Dan?

Pardon my wrinkly old lady hands.....

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

that's SO cool! mining for agates!
oh boy! i want to do this!

knack said...

those are awesome....and what a great story! xo

Marsi @ The Cottage Cheese said...

These are so cool, and it's so special to know how much love goes into each piece!

Mo and Dan said...

Hey! Cool! Thanks Kate! Dan has been busy - he just started school today, but he is going to start making more earrings soon (and selling them too).